The Parish Church of

Saint Mary the Virgin

St Mary's Logo

Barton-on-Humber

 

[TCIBvicarage197308000101.html]

Back to 1836

From the Lincoln, Rutland and Stamford Mercury. 2nd September, 1836 page 2 column 6
VICARAGE, BARTON upon HUMBER

To be LET, and entered upon immediately

THE VICARAGE OF BARTON. It is a small elegant residence, pleasantly situated in a shrubbery, adjoining St. Peter's churchyard, having St. Mary's Church and a piece of water in front. It consists of a dining-room and drawing-room 18 feet by 15, study, butler's pantry, water-closet, kitchen, back kitchen, larder, with two very good-sized bedrooms, three small ones, and two attics. It was considerably added to five years since, the whole modernised and put into thorough repair. There is a two-stalled stable, Coach House, and Garden attached to the premises, which may be taken with it or not.

For further particulars, apply to the Rev. Geo. Uppleby
The reason for the above notice appearing in the press seems to have been that the Vicarage was not required while Mr. Uppleby was the incumbent at Barton, was that he was also the Rector and lived in the Rectory - now Bardney Hall. It's not known whether this notice secured a tenant for the Vicarage, but for a period while Mr. Uppleby was Rector and Vicar of the parish, the Vicarage became the house occupied by the Assistant Curate.
Mr. Rex Russell has supplied this text from The Mercury. He hopes to be able to let us have the figures for the religious census of 1851. These should make interesting reading.

 

 HOME Click to get the menus on the Home Page   ARCHIVES Click to get the menus on the Archive Page    Now:  - Then: August 1973

 

Archive by Adrian WorsfoldClick on that text for Adrian Worsfold's Pluralist Website

Webmakers are Peter Large with Adrian WorsfoldClick on that text for Parish of St. Mary Barton-upon-Humber Website